Akha Opium Legend

As we are currently in the Golden Triangle, which used to be an area heavily associated with the production and exporting of opium, we tourned an opium museum. There's an old legend that within the Akha tribe, a beautiful young girl (which would be every girl since they are all incredibly beautiful here) was sought after by many suitors. One particular day, seven young men asked for her hand. Not wanting to disappoint any of them, she decided she wouldn't choose one to marry but instead would make love with all of them. She did, knowing that this would probably kill her. When she could endure it no longer, she asked to be killed and wished to be reincarnated as a beautiful flower. She directed her relatives to carefully tend her grave, saying that this flower would grow from her heart. Whoever tasted of the sap from this beautiful flower would experience amazing pleasure, but also great suffering.

And, I smoked pot through a bamboo water pipe! Only one puff though. I have pictures.

Below, Grandma showing me how:

It's not illegal to grow marijuana in the hills and the hill tribes plant it for their own use. At the Akha hill tribe we were taken to an old grandmother's house. She squatted on a bamboo stool about 3" from the ground and had a huge bamboo pole in front of her with a little protruding out part into which she stuck a cigarette which she lit with a Bic lighter. That looked odd. then Tina, our guide, told us they mix the pot with regular tobacco to smoke. the grandmother demonstrated. Then they asked for volunteers. No one stepped forward so finally, I bravely stepped into the breach.

When I put my mouth into the bamboo and inhaled (Yes Mr. Clinton, I inhaled) I evidently didn't do it vigorously enought because you're supposed to hear the water. I tried a couple more times and finally put my hands around the top to create a seal. Then I heard the water gurgle and got a lungful of smoke. There, I did it. It just tasted like smoke.
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The trouble with winter is…

Summer Palace

"The Party"