Thai Cooking

"Don't put all our eggs in one basket," we cried in unison as our teacher put all the eggs into Hans' basket.

So started our cooking course. We walked to the market, each swinging a little basket, and were given a lesson in the different vegetables we were going to use in today's menu:

(At right, our teacher, showing us how to shop and identifying the many weird vegetables we were going to use. He has galanga in his hand.)

  • chicken cashew


  • coconut milk soup with chicken


  • spicy noodle salad


  • red curry paste (that was a job and a half! we had to chop hot red chilies into paste and until no seeds were visible. When done, our little mounds looked like hot red ketchup)


  • fish cakes


  • red chicken curry



"Use more chilies in the soup," our teacher said, "the coconut milk will cut the heat."




So I used 4 chilies, having used 2 in my spicy noodle salad and found it to be just the right spiciness.




"More coconut milk!" I cried as I tasted my soup. It was hot. Luckily I was also full after eating the cashew dish and spicy noodle, so I left my soup. My stomach roiled at the thought of 3 more dishes to eat in the afternoon, and a farewell dinner that night. I decided to participate and cook, but other than tasting I left the food for the cooking assistants and other staff.



After the chicken cashew, the spicy noodle salad and 2 spoons of soup, I had to leave the rest to make room for our evening dinner.

Comments

Anonymous said…
sounds delicious. you and hans should come to supper at our house when you return. i'll have enough wine on hand to more than keep you both happy and in return.....you can cook. looking forward to it.

charlie and nellie
Haloranch said…
Hmmm... sounds almost nice, making us work an all. Hans would love to cook for you now that he's a real pro! See you when we get back. Practice with the corkscrew.
Anonymous said…
Noticed you took a Thai cooking class so I thought you'd appreciate this website
http://www.thaifoodtonight.com/thaifoodtonight/recipes.htm

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Palace

The trouble with winter is…

"The Party"