A Word or Two about the Food





This, of course, is one of the highlights of cruising. Every day your willpower is tested repeatedly as sumptuous food is available everywhere.

Last night we had escargots. God, but I love those and so, Teddy and I both had two helpings. It’s a toss up whether it’s really the escargots we like, or whether we’d be just as happy with a bowl of melted garlic butter and a bun. I know there wasn’t a drop of butter left on my dish.

French onion soup was also on the menu, but with two servings of escargots I thought that might just be too much, so Teddy and I split a Caesar salad. With anchovy! Loved it.

Frogs legs were also on the menu but I’ve had them on other cruises and while I usually order them when they’re available, this is the first time I’ve chosen something else. We each had 2 filet medallions, medium rare for me, and rare for Teddy. Each was perfect.

Just a few nights ago we had lobster tails. Another favourite, and so Hans, Teddy and I each asked for two. He also brought a couple of extra for the table which ended up on my and Hans’ plates. It was wonderful.

Twice I’ve had salmon, also barramundi and Chilean sea bass. The presentation is always beautiful, with every vegetable artfully placed on the plate. I confess that I’m much too interested in my own plate to always pay attention what the others are eating, but when they have something different, I can attest that their plates are equally beautifully garnished and presented.

Lunches are sometimes on the Lido deck where the buffets are tantalizingly displayed, and other times we eat in the dining room. Today I shared a table with an oceanographer who unfortunately suffers from seasickness. “I’ve thrown up everywhere,” he told us.

“Did you know this about yourself when you chose this career?” I asked curiously.

“No. And when I found out it was already too late.” Tough break.

Teddy likes to eat on the Lido where she can see the food and make careful selections. Sometimes I join her there but I tend to eat more if I’m browsing the buffet, though it’s often sensible food like the green lipped mussels they had the other day. Or smoked salmon with onion and capers. Oh, and cream cheese. So not entirely sensible but definitely great food.

There’s a soft ice cream bar that’s open every day from 11:00- 6:00 and between 3:30-4:00 if you’re on the Lido, they bring around hot cookies fresh from the oven and icy cold milk. You don’t have to be a kid to enjoy a hot, fragrant cookie.
Princess also allows you to bring a bottle of wine aboard, and so occasionally in port Hans, Teddy and I have taken advantage of this and then we join Teddy in her room for a pre-dinner glass of wine and some appies, courtesy of Hans who’ll go up to the Lido and bring back a plate of cheeses.

And now, it’s getting close to that time so we’re off to eat yet another scrumptious meal. God but I love my life.

Comments

Lethe said…
Ah yes, the food on cruises is such a treat! Holland America was pretty good, but I think Princess is actually a little better! Or maybe it has to do with the age of the ships.

I hope you are doing the stairs!
Haloranch said…
Doing some stairs, but my knees are giving me too much grief, even going down. So I'm going to have to swim a marathon when I get back.

Popular posts from this blog

The trouble with winter is…

Summer Palace

"The Party"