Exercise on Ship

On the first day of the cruise, Hans woke up early and got to the gym shortly after 8:00 a.m. when they opened. It was already full of people and all the treadmills were taken so he worked for a bit on an elliptical machine.

Next day he got there earlier and got a treadmill.

Thereafter, he slept in in the mornings and instead walked and jogged around the deck in the afternoon or early evening before dinner.

The laps worked well for him - he started out doing 3 miles and by the end of the cruise, just before he got injured, he was doing 5 miles and mostly jogging.

I went to the gym only once and did a bit on the exercise bike and the elliptical. I didn't want to do the treadmills as they faced the windows which meant you had your butt to all the other people in the gym. Not nice.

Mainly, my exercise consisted of taking the stairs everywhere, as did Hans. The ship has elevators but, on the first cruise we ever took (13 years ago now) I decided if I wanted to indulge in the delicious food and drink on the ship I would have to use the stairs to make up for it. That's my penance and I stick to it.

It was only hard after a long day at the beach snorkeling then hauling gear up 5 flights of stairs that I could feel a searing in my lungs as though I had swallowed fire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Palace

The trouble with winter is…

"The Party"