Rest Day in Ourense

The next four days (and last days) of walking will be a piece of cake.

It’s a bit warmer now that I am over the passes so I don’t have to worry about dealing with the cold. The only thing that can create a problem is rain and frankly that won’t be a problem. I have learned a lot about walking this time. Lessons that will serve me well should I do some more.

Just came back from the thermal baths which are about a 2km walk from the albergue. It was fabulous.

Three hot pools starting at 41C and getting progressively colder as water flows from one to the next. There is also a cold pool. The water has some minerals in it but it is clear with a slight but not unpleasant sulfurous smell. For 6€, I got a towel , a badly fitting bathing suit and the right to use the facility for 90 minutes. An hour was more than enough and I felt great afterwards. I should have gone last nigh. There was a bar attached to the spa where I had some tapas, a small bocadillo and two beers for 2.70€. What a bargain.

By the river just below the spa where I was, there is another thermal area also with three pools and of course there is no charge. I suppose I could have used it but without a bathing suit.....

Spain changed back to standard time on the same weekend as North America so there’s still an 8 hour difference between here and there. It actually helped as it made it light one hour earlier although that did not improve the weather.

Today – November 5, for a change it’s sunny and pleasantly warm, maybe 20C here at the moment at 16:15. Apparently this weather should continue for the next few days. Next I will be complaining that it is too hot!!!!

Hans

Editor’s note: Several people have told me that they are following Hans’ trip not only on the web, but also on a map next to the computer. They check each day as they read about the latest distance travelled. We even got a note from a fellow pilgrim who lives near Durban, South Africa, and who is following Hans’ trip on the web.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Palace

The trouble with winter is…

"The Party"