Dinner in Banff

The Maple Leaf Grill is THE place to eat in Banff. I know this to be true because two of my dinner companions have lived in Banff for over 30 years and own Canada House, an art gallery now run by their daugher Barb and her husband Eric.

I met Peter and Marika through our friends from Wellington, New Zealand. Wally and Margot are currently on a 4 month holiday which includes a visit to Banff. Despite their lengthy absence from NZ, they are on a tight schedule in Alberta and didn't have time to visit Red Deer. So they invited Hans and me to join them for dinner in Banff.

Peter and Marika spend most of their time at their other residence in B.C. and so asked their daughter to recommend a good place to eat. That's how I found myself enjoying *happy hour* at Peter's condo prior to dinner.

"Can I get you some kind of cool aid?" he asked when I arrived. I heard *Kool Aid* and was momentarily nonplussed. After all, some people don't drink. I even know a few. However, his earlier email had mentioned *happy hour* so I was hopeful.

Into the silence, Peter finally added, "A highball?"

Whew!

I gratefully suggested a glass of wine and was offered a deliciously smooth, nine year old Chardonnay from Quail's Gate Private Reserve. Turns out Peter and Marika also enjoy wines and belong to the Barrel Club at Quail's Gate - a much more upscale version of the vine we own at Tinhorn Creek .

Dinner was fabulous, as promised.

To our left, when we entered, was a two-storey wine cellar. Waiters were busy carrying platters of artfully presented meals. I knew right away I was going to like it here.

Wally had the wild B.C. salmon, Peter had the special which was a baseball sized piece of tuna seared on the outside and sushi in the middle, and I had the lavender and mint crusted Halibut. Marika and Margot had duck. You can read the descriptions of our choices when you click on Maple Leaf Grill at the top of this post. Peter chose an exceptional Hainle Deep Creek Pinot Gris which complemented each of our meals.

We're eating dinner, my phone rang. It never rings. Totally flustered, I fumble with it and it makes more noise when I flip it open. The caller is *anonymous* so I end the call and put away the phone, babbling apologies. It rings again. I feel like everyone is scowling at me and with more fumbling, manage to turn it off. Later, on my drive to Calgary, I remember to turn it on and moments later it rings again! Turns out that Hans was calling to say hi to our friends from New Zealand! *sigh*

Comments

Anonymous said…
I note you didn't mention that, while you couldn't hear Dad on the other end of the phone, he could hear you talking and kept bellowing your name!

FD
Haloranch said…
So you said, but of course I heard nothing except the little song that my phone plays, over and over and over.
Anonymous said…
Generally accurate - but one glaring error, after a number of glasses of old chardonnay, it is easy to miss details. You only missed the fact that Barb and Eric own the gallery, not just run it.

Glad you enjoyed the evening, and learned how to use your phone.

P

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Palace

The trouble with winter is…

"The Party"