Omigod!

I'm an idiot, and I have proof.

Back in June a little *check* light went on in my car. Not the oil light or anything straightforward like that. I had to look it up and the manual said, "Take it to your dealer." Okay.

After work I pick the car up at the dealer's.

"I've run the diagnostic, but the only thing we can find is that the gas cap is on loose," said the serviceman. "That'll be $50 please."

"What? $50 to tell me the gas cap is on loose? That can't be the problem."

"The code says it's an evaporation leak, and it's all we could find." He goes on to explain the 3-click rule. "Tighten the gas cap until you hear 3 clicks. Then you know it's sealed."

"But how do I tell my husband it cost $50 to find out the gas cap was loose?"

He humours me and gives me a long and convoluted explanation which I can't remember anyway, so I 'fess up. It's no big deal.

A week later the light comes back on. The first thing I check is that the gas cap is on tight. It is, but as I tighten it I wait for the 3 clicks. The car makes no sound. I try again, but as tightly as I turn it, it remains silent. It must be defective, I think. And the evil check light stays on too.

Since I was going to be kayaking and then in New York for the next two weeks I had no time to bring it to the dealer so I ignored it. But all the way to the airport that first week my eyes were glued to the amber check light which mocked me with its steadfast glow. I was suddenly worried that maybe there really was something wrong with my car. And in a blonde moment I had removed my AMA card from my wallet along with all other superfluous cards. Yikes.

And the light is still on when we get back from New York.

Finally, nearly 3 weeks after its second appearance, I phoned Toyota and arranged to bring it in the next morning. On my way to the dealer's, the light went off. The serviceman explained he couldn't run a diagnostic if no light is showing but he invited me to return if it did.

It did, three days later.

I huffily explain that I don't want to be charged again if this persistent problem is in any way related to the original evap leak. No problem, he assures me.

He phones me later that day.

"It's your gas cap. It wasn't on very tight."

"What?" We replay our original conversation. "I can't believe that. I tighten it as much as I can. Really. It's on very tight."

"Did you hear the 3 clicks?"

"No. But I did screw the lid on very tightly."

"We'll give you a lesson when you pick up the car."

And the sweet young receptionist, who looks to be about 15, walks me out to my car to give me a lesson. How embarassing is that? On the way, she too explains the 3 click rule. I admit that I've heard that, but my car doesn't make that noise. It's an older model, you know.

She pops the gas door, unscrews the cap and then tightens it. My God, it does make the 3 click sound. I can't believe my ears. I try it and tighten it the way I normally do. It's quite tight and she's kind enough to agree but urges me to continue anyway. I do, and by golly, with a little extra effort I too get 3 clicks. In complete disbelief I repeat this at least three times. I am gobsmacked.

With a little smile, she hands me my keys and I leave.

I am a $50 fool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The trouble with winter is…

Summer Palace

"The Party"