I am in the tiny village of Calzadilla de la Cueza some 79 km short of Leon. Have walked 62 km over the last two days. Have just under 400 km to go to Santiago. Could have done more but I am limiting myself to around 30 km per day so as not to get to Santiago too early. Will likely take a rest day either in Leon or more likely Astorga which is about 115 km away.

Health is OK although I have been experiencing some swelling of the feet. Have been taking Ibuprofen sparingly to counteract the swelling. Otherwise all is OK.

The weather continues to cooperate. It has been cool (almost too cool early in the morning). No hint of rain. In fact, I have really only had two rainy walking days, one in France and one in Spain. If it were to rain I am going to have problems with a wet left foot where my shoe has ripped open. Hope for the best.

So far have met people from 27 countries. Seeing many more Canadians and Americans than the first time. Understand that the movie about the Camino, "The Way" starring Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez will be released in North America later this year. This will undoubtedly result in a mob of so-called North American Pilgrims in the upcoming years.

I read a brilliant book by Bryce Courtenay called "The Power of One". It was his first book and was published in 1989 by Mandarin Press in Australia. The book is brilliant and I believe that it wa made into a movie of the same name.

Here are a couple of quoted from the book that I really liked.

"His top teeth, jutted out at an angl, and peeped out from under his lipsas though looking to see if the coast were clear ao that they might escape."

"Behind me the hills tumbled on, accumulating height as they gathered momentum until,in the far distance, they became proper mountains."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Palace

The trouble with winter is…

"The Party"