Onward and Upward - mostly upward

On the first day of the Camino there was a hill. Not just any hill but in fact, a huge mountain of a hill. They call it - and its other hilly neighbours - the Pyrenees.

Hans writes:

I am in Roncesvalles. Just had a shower after a bit of a brutal day. Decided to take the high road over the pass rather than the low road deep in the valley. Even though harder I would probably always regret not taking it. (This his where he and I differ. I would be jubilant that I took the easy road! ~ editor Lo)

Now that I am here, at the end of the long and difficult down slope, I realize I made the right choice. But during some of the climbing I was seriously debating my sanity during the decision.

Of the first 25 km all but 4 was up with grades over 10degrees for the most part. (ouch) I left in fog thinking that it would dissipate as Igot higher. It did a bit but then we had thunder and lightening and a dowbpour. Got soaked inside and out.

The last 2 km were really tough as it was a very steep downhill. By the end my legs were crying out for relief. The beer I had at a bar at the end went down in nanoseconds.

Heading out to the mass at 7 with everyone else and then it's on to dinner at 8.

Tomorrow's day is just as long in distance but nothing near as difficult.

Editor Lo's comments:
From all accounts, the most difficult part of the trip is behind you. Too bad about the rain though - can't have been very pleasant. It gushed here too. Thunder woke me last night in Calgary and it just poured all the way home with huge billows of spray from all the vehicles in front and beside me. It was a relief to get home. But at least we were dry in the car, and not sopping wet outside like you.

Here's hoping you get a bit of sun - but not too much - tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The trouble with winter is…

Summer Palace

"The Party"