Manta, Ecuador




We’ve got warm, muggy Spring weather today. 78 F (26 C), but feels like 95 with the humidity. There’s certainly no need for moisturizer in Ecuador.

Remember the guide in Acapulco who said Mexico had had 2 revolutions, both caused by buses? Well, I think Ecuador had the same revolutions.

Hans decided he had better rest today rather than come ashore, probably a good idea, since Teddy and I had to line up for the shuttle into town. It was a long wait, and Hans would not have suffered it gladly. Ted and I passed the time chatting to a nice Japanese couple just in front of us and when it finally came our turn to board the bus, Ted and I were the last two to get on. Huge relief. Later in the morning when we boarded the bus to leave the craft market, we were again the last two to get on the bus. And our final bus trip from the shopping mall to the ship, we were the last ONE person to get on the bus.

“I’m sorry, there’s only room for one passenger,” said the guide.
“She can sit on my lap,” I said with a friendly smile, gesturing to Teddy who’s quite tiny.
“Okay,” he shrugged and we forded our way right to the back where there was one empty seat. Teddy did get one cheek on my lap and the other on the armrest, while I hugged her hip with my free hand so she wouldn’t tumble off. Less than 2 minutes later, a group of 4 very polite Indian fellows (they were crew on the ship) moved one of their guys to squeeze in with two others and gave Teddy her own seat.

At the craft market, the main product was white Panama hats. The other plentiful item were ivory nut carvings. One lady showed us what the ivory nut looks like, which I can’t describe because it’s like nothing I’ve ever seen. You’ll have to look it up on the internet. Teddy and I were both interested in one of the small carvings and at $2 each, they were a bargain. The shopkeeper quickly said 3 for $5, which sounded interesting but there was no way Ted and I could split 3 carvings. But then our friendly Japanese couple showed up and he suggested we ask for 4 for $5, which we did, the shopkeeper readily agreed, and we left happy. If you're the lucky recipient of this ivory nut carving, it cost $20.

At the shopping mall, a package of 4 Halls cost only $1.50 US (vs. the $2.29 I paid on the ship last night, for 1 Halls) so I bought 3 packages. Hans’ cough should bite the dust with so many lozenges lubricating his throat.

The port at which we’re docked is also a huge shipping port. Ted and I watched them unload tuna from a trawler while we were in line for the bus at 10:00 a.m., and when we pulled out of port at 5:00 p.m. they were still unloading from the same trawler. Huge tuna. I got photos, but unfortunately I missed the 5’ long tuna that Hans saw them hoist up so the tourists could take photos.

There were 6 latecomers today who arrived after 4:30, our deadline for boarding. When they finally got on, our Captain had this to say, amongst other things, “I’m satisfied we have everyone on board, which is always a trial.” Then he went on with, “the temperature tonight will be 25 C, party cloud. Tomorrow it will be 22. No, 28, uh, I must be dyslexic today.”

In other news, Manta appears to be a poor city. We saw many vacant lots filled with debris, cement buildings with gaping black holes where windows used to be, and every doorway has a wrought iron security grille. The locals must hate it when shiploads of tourists pass through their city passing silent, and sometimes not so silent judgment on what they see. It’s not an easy life here.

Comments

Lethe said…
Sometimes it's shocking when you see poverty so far beyond what we have in Canada while traveling in other countries. Especially when you are the rich white foreigner bringing all the desperately needed money to their economy - and to us, the paltry amounts we spend mean almost nothing.
Eric said…
very true - hey at least you're supporting them with those $20 ivory nuts! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Palace

The trouble with winter is…

"The Party"