Pesos in Chile

“You need pesos?” whispered the woman in line ahead of me at the Purser’s office, where I was waiting to find out if I could buy pesos from the ship’s desk.

“Yes!” I was delighted. Teddy had picked up US $20 worth of pesos (10,000 P) the day before in La Serena, Chile and it cost her an extra $5 for using the ATM.

“I won’t charge you for the exchange,” continued the woman. “Yesterday my husband asked me to get $100 worth of pesos and I can see that we won’t be needing nearly that much. I already sold $20 to another lady.”

I fumbled in my purse for the money while she pulled out a wad of pesos. “Quick! Here comes my husband.”

Too late. He caught us. But he said not one word as she babbled her explanation and I was thrilled with my pesos which, it turned out, came in very handy later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Palace

The trouble with winter is…

"The Party"