Hokitika

We're writing from Hokitika where a favourite seasonal pastime is the annual Wildfoods Festival.

Established in 1990 the festival attracts thousands of visitors who are captivated by the idea of enjoying diverse local fare such as bull semen and grubs. Luckily, we missed it.

On our way here this morning from Greymouth, we again crossed a Road and Rail bridge. These trestle railway bridges are in actual use by the train, and signs instruct us to "Give Way". As if we wouldn't. At least the ties have been covered by asphalt so you're not peering through the cracks at the surging waters below. I see on the map that there's another one coming up south of here. I can't wait.

Yesterday at our B & B, while Hans got in a quick game of golf in the afternoon, I sat on the deck which overlooks the ocean. So beautiful! Then Mary's (the B & B hostess) friend came by with her 6 week old Maltese/Chihuahua puppy. I looked after the puppy while the ladies plotted their upcoming trip to Fiji, and it was delightful to play with such a tiny pup. I don't want one, but I enjoyed it for an hour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The trouble with winter is…

Summer Palace

"The Party"