Lunch at Waimea Estates - Nelson


Who else do you know who drives upwards of 100 kms for lunch?

After Hans' early morning golf game, we headed to Nelson on the coast. Got there at lunch time and the hunt was on. Which of the many wineries serving lunch should we pick?

In the end, our choice was very serendipidous.

We chose Waimea Estates primarily because it was the closest to Nelson and Hans was hungry. As we sidled up to the bar to taste which wine we were going to have with lunch (I know, it's backward, but it's more fun this way!)a flautist was getting ready to play. He played all the poignant songs we knew - Music of the Night, Time to Remember, Vincent (better knowns as Starry Starry Night).

I don't often compliment musicians, but his music was so sweet it choked me up. I was grateful for my sunglasses. Finally, I spoke to him. The conversation went something like this:

"You play beautifully."

"Thank you. I'll play a request if you tell me where you're from."

"Canada."

"I knew that." (Hans was wearing a Canadian flag pin). "From where?"

"Red Deer, Alberta."

"I'm from Parksville."

"Parksville! My cousin lives there. Do you remember a roadside stand called Cormi's, where they sell fresh produce?"

"I know them. Anna and Brian. I've known them for years. My daughter is best friends with Anna's daughter, Maya."

"No. Anna's my cousin!"

And that's the magic of travel. From small town Parksville, B.C. to small town Nelson, New Zealand, two people meet who have a connection through a third person. I just love it.

"Where's home now?" Hans asked him.

"Here" he said, touching his heart.

In his CD "Portrait", he says, "If you have enjoyed this music, please feel freet o copy and share it with others. I only ask that this be done with an open and loving heart."

So Alethea, we will certainly share his CDs with you and for the rest of you, you can expect to hear them when you come over to our place because we both so enjoyed Don MacGregor's flute playing that we bought all 6 of his CDs. He doesn't have a website yet, but if you write to him at ddoingwell@hotmail.com, maybe he'll set one up with a little of his music. It is really beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Palace

The trouble with winter is…

"The Party"