500+ Kilometres done!

I am in a lovely town called Hospital de Orbigo about 35 km west of Leon where I stayed last night and about 16 km from Astorga which I should reach early tomorrow. All is well other than a slight nose bleed this morning (the toilet paper that I brought has finally had some use!!!!) and the first sign of leg problems with some pain in my left shin. Not too much of a problem as yet but I need to be careful.

I am staying at a lovely albergue called St. Michael where I will partake in a communal dinner tonight and breakfast will be provided in the morning.

Here are the statistics.

Have completed 501 km with 275 to go to San Tiago. Almost 2/3 done.

Pretty sure that I will also walk the 90 km to Finisterre in good time to spend a day there and then go back to Santiago with Janos to catch my flight to Barcelona.

I am 4 days ahead of the 31 day schedule to Santiago as previously mentioned.

Weather contimues to be great.

Am finally heading out of the Meseta (the plains of northern Spain) where the walking has been generally flat and somewhat boring although I have been averaging close to 40km per day. As I head into the mountains and into Gallica there is a stgronger chance that I will finally see some rain after 15 days of generally great weather.

Any other news of significance? I have heard nothing in 3 weeksa as to what is happening in the rest of the world. Somehow it doesn´t seem important.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hans, obviously you are able to keep motivated. Do you wake up in the morning and think - I have to get up and walk? Also, have you had any epiphanies (not necessarily religious but spiritual experiences). You mention you have not heard any world news - what good fortune for you. I think about you walking and walking. I did a 10 km walk and thought I was intitled to sainthood - you are amazing. Hope you are taking pictures and writing a diary for us to read. What is the average age of the pilgrims that you have met? Take care. God speed! Keep you head up and your stick on the ice. Margo
Anonymous said…
Way to go Wheezy. 2/3 done, 1/3 to go!! Hope the leg problems go away and everything goes smoothly.

As far as the rest of the world, here's a summary:
Same crap.....different day...you've missed nothing important. The world continues.

Not nearly as strenuous as your adventure, we're enjoying the Maritimes. You'll enjoy them too once you go, especially PEI and NS. Old Quebec was great, food great upcoming diet....not so great.

Take care my friend, looking forwardto hearing about your adventure and seeing the pics.
Vern

Popular posts from this blog

The trouble with winter is…

Summer Palace

"The Party"