I promise that this is THE END

It turns out that my Camino trip was not quite over when I arrived in Fisterra, the day before yesterday, September 23.

Yesterday afternoon, after Markus and I had found a small hotel and had settled in I went to the local ¨Mercado¨to pick up some supplies. As I am walking down the street a car honked at me. Lo and behold it was Janos with his family. They had just arrived from Santiago (we had agreed to meet today at noon in front of the main church here in Fisterra when I had left him and Krisztina in Burgos almost 3 weeks ago). Not only that, but he had passed Krisztina on the highway about 5 km from Fisterra as she was walking from Santiago. She showed up about 30 minutes later and we had a joyfull reunion.

Later the four of us (Markus had been introduced to the group)walked down to the beach where Kriszrina went for a swim in the cold Atlantic and I dipped my toe in the water. We agreed to meet at 7:30 to walk the last 3 km to the "end of the world" to watch the sun sink into the ocean hopefully to return the next day. Afterwards we burned old and smelly clothes and other stuff as is the tradition for peregrinos and then walked back to town and had a late dinner.

So, the final chapter in my Camino has been written.

This afternoon Krisztina and I return to Santiago by car with Janos. She and I fly to Barcelona tomorrow morning. She then flys on to Budapest. Janos and his family and Markus fly home on September 27. We have all agreed to keep in touch. They have all been great walking companions....something that you need to have when walking the Camino.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Palace

The trouble with winter is…

"The Party"