Questions and more questions!

Q: You haven't said much about the albergues. Are they clean?

A: Yes, they are generally clean but it varies. The private ones and those run by church organizations are generally cleaner than the municipal ones.

Q: How many beds per room? Double of triple bunks?

A: I have stayed in 25 albergues so far. Only one was a triple a couple were single. Beds per room is highly variable: as few as 4 and as many as 110 in Roncesvalles.

Q: How's the snoring been? Have you had to use the ear plugs?

A: Use the plugs almost every night. I had 4 Italians surrounding me a couple of nights ago. They told me that I didn´t need the plugs. They snored as a quartet. Last night we stayed in an albergue with only 22 beds in one room. Only 5 beds were taken and I didn´t bother with the plugs.

Q: What do you do in the evenings? Is there a common room where you sit with other pilgrims and talk? Do you go out in groups to eat?

A: Some have kitchens and dining facilities which are great for conversation. Some of the private albergues offer a meal for a fee (typically 7-9 euros). These have been fabulous meals. Some evenings we go to a local restaurant which offers a ¨menu de peregrinos¨ where you may join a table with other pilgrims.

Q: Did you buy another golf shirt to replace the forgotten one?

A: No....didn´t need one more shirt.

Q: Since you're walking faster than most, do you find fewer and fewer pilgrims ahead of you or are there more up front? Those would be ones who started days or even weeks before you and who aren't as fast.

A: See new people every day. Might see the same people for half a dozen days and then not see them ever again or they may pop up unexpectedly. The number that you see on the road stays about the same but seems to be getting to be more as we get closer and close to Santiago. Remember that to get the compostela you only have to walk the last 100 km!

Q: How much weight do you think you've lost?

A: Haven´t got a clue but my waistline is down 2-3 inches. Thank God for the cruise !

Q: Are your shoes holding up well? Have you walked any portions in your sandals?

A: Shoes have been great. Tried walking with sandals about 3 days ago because of the swelling of my ankle. Gave up after about 3 km and went back to the hiking boots.

Q: How's your shin now, still hurting?

A: A bit, but under control. It seems to be the worst on steep downhills. I am managing and think that I can walk to Finisterre.

You´ll have to wait to see me to see if I am shaving or not.

I had the library bring in a book for you to read about a guy who did the Camino on a donkey...!! He's a UK humorist writer called Tim Moore, but so far he's nothing like Bill Bryson. I started it last night and the beginning is more about the history of the Camino but I hear the book gets quite witty once he's actually doing the walk. I hope you'll enjoy it. I copied this review from Amazon:

"Like many travel books and books about anything to do with places and the people who inhabit or frequent these places, there is an added benefit to having experienced it yourself. To get this book, you don't have to have walked the Camino but it most certainly adds flavour if you have. Or more specifically there is an added glee when you witness Moore's beautiful slapstick unravelling as he makes his way across northern Spain to his final destination of Santiago. His struggles are your struggles, the people he
encounters you've encountered, and best of all he gives voice to the secret thoughts that played over and over in your mind as you wandered along the way. So if you've walked the Camino I urge you to read Spanish Steps. If you're thinking of walking the Camino I urge you to buy it and read it as soon as you return home, and if you have all ready read it I urge you to walk the Camino and read it again and finally if you have no intention of walking anywhere farther than the corner shop or the bus-stop I urge you to read it and laugh yourself silly. Above all Enjoy."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Palace

The trouble with winter is…

"The Party"