Beach Stuff


Hans was wearing his Canadian jersey which looks like a hockey jersey, though not from any specific club. A fellow darted out of a store and reached to shake his hand. "Hello Canada," he said bowing. I wonder if he thought Hans was a famous hockey player?

We walked further up the beach today since I heard from my pedicure neighbour the other day that I can get a massage right on the beach, and for only 150 baht. With fond memories of the foot and leg massage I got on Boracay Island, I decided to pursue this pleasure here too.

There is, however, a real language impediment here. A couple of masseuses showed up soon after we settled in, but quoted 200 baht, and for only 45 minutes. I asked about an hour, but it soared to 300 baht. I don't get the math. Tried explaining that I was told it was only 150 baht, but they weren't understanding. I declined. Then one of the ladies ran her finger down my heel and toes and mimed that she would scrape off the rough stuff, so, with the bonus of getting my heels buffed, I nodded and had her go ahead.

The tiny cheese slicer she used did a good job on my feet and then she started the massage. Honestly, this was the nicest leg massage I've received to date on our holiday! There was a nice smelling menthol cream that heated and cooled my legs at the same and her hands were gentle. Not once did she dig her thumbs into my muscles! In fact, she raised her eyebrows at the bruises on my thighs and I said, "massage". She nodded in understanding and continued with her gentle hands.

I tried to gauge the time thinking surely, the 45 minutes were up but since I wasn't wearing a watch I gave up and just enjoying myself. Finally, she was done. I handed her the 200 baht with an additional 40 for tip. She counts it, shakes her head and pointing to my feet, says "cleaning, 100 baht". For an instant I consider just giving her another 60 and no tip but fortunately got a reality chec. So I got screwed out of $3. Big deal. It was worth it.

Vendors:
They are a bonus and a curse. They come at you constantly, but don't hassle you if you say no. But if you say yes even just to look... then suck it up and buy something. They're peddling a wide variety of goods from foods to maps. Who goes to the beach to buy a map of Thailand? But even so, it's a bonus if you think of the time it saves you trudging from store to store in 37 degree heat. And meanwhile, you're enjoying the breeze and the beach. If you wait long enough, someone will come by with something you want.

I bought something 2 days ago. A lady came by with a stunning bed cover in a shimmery, deep blood red silk. An elephant medallion in the center, probably 18" in diameter, is edged in gold as are two of the edges. Buffeted by the ocean breeze, the blanket opened up to its full size and the colour just pulled me in. A day earlier I had seen the same blanket in a deep forest green as was just as hypnotized by its shimmery colour. Hans liked it too and we thought Alethea would like it since she's decorating with that deep claret colour. As he headed off to the water, he said, "Why don't you buy two?"

Well then.

So I did.

The other one's for us and in a different colour. Usually I don't buy anything for the house until I know exactly where it's going but while I have no firm place in mind, I do have a couple of options. And anyway, I just love it.

We negotiated and in the end, I probably overpaid. In fact, I'm sure of it. Today on the beach I saw the same lady still selling the blankets. She came up to me and I said "No, I already have one. In fact, I bought it from you." At first she pretended not to understand me but as she left, she said, "I remember" and pointed to my ears. She had admired my earrings the other day but since I wasn`t wearing any today, I think she remembered me because I overpaid. *sigh*

Swimming in Jomtien:
I'm playing in the waves, standing in water nearly up to my neck and jumping up as huge swells roll in. It's great fun!

Suddenly, I hear a voice on a loudspeaker. It's in Thai, so I have no idea what they're saying but I look around anxiously in case all the bathers are heading rapidly for shore. No one seems concerned so I relax. It's not a shark alert.

Food on the beach:
One vendor is selling round waffles, or tortillas about the size of a dinner plate. Each waffle is encased in a clear plastic bag and sealed. Then it's fastened to a pole in such a way that when a customer buys one, he cuts it off between the seal and the pole fastening so it's still sealed when you get it. He has an equal number on the back of the pole, which he balances over his shoulder.

Cold beer is sold on the beach and they bring it to you in a thermal holder so it retains its chill as long as possible.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The bedspread sounds gorgeous and I can't wait to see it.

Sounds like you are having a spectacular time out there!

FD

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Palace

The trouble with winter is…

"The Party"