Joint meeting with 9 clubs

This special event was created to give the Canadian Team an opportunity to meet Rotarians from other clubs in the District. Nine clubs chose to substitute this evening for their regular one and so the eight of us split up and each sat at a different table. Expecting only 50 people, the staff were scurrying to keep up when nearly twice as many showed up.

On our way down we were talking about music and singers and I mentioned that I was very fond of Andrea Bocelli. "Well, there may be a surprise for you when you get there."

"Andrea Bocelli will be there???" I exclaimed.

Not excactly. But a damn good substitute. Emile, of whom you have never heard, has a sensational voice and is quite well known locally. Somehow he was given the word that there was a request pending, so he called me up to the mike. I seriously feared that someone had told him I had requested to sing. And those of you who have heard me sing would also be fearful.

Fortunately, it was just to announce that he would sing "Let this be my Prayer" by Andrea Bocelli, and darned if he didn't come over to my table to serenade me. What a delightful touch to kick off a great evening.




Lots of speeches, mutual thanks for the Livelihood project which our club funded and theirs brought into being. Gifts were exchange and we presented each of the club presidents with a Canadian hockey jersey. Neil had already brought an extra jersey, but as a ninth club decided to participate we were short one. A bit embarassing that.


And Ray, hamming it up with all the spouses!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like you're having a wonderful time (and traveling light too!!) Now I suppose Hans will want his own water buffalo for the Halo Ranch.

Keep us posted on the wayward luggage. Or this will be your best excuse for a new wardrobe.

Vern

Ted, says Hi... she just got back from the pool (we're in Arizona....not mental in Kelowna.

TTYL

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Palace

The trouble with winter is…

"The Party"