We're Here! (Feb 29)

Deplaning in Manila, I saw what I had always wanted to see. Someone standing at the end of the long corridor holding up a sign with our names. "Can you read that?" I asked Hans, whose eyes are much better than mine. "It's for us," he said, equally delighted. "It's Fed."

We had never met Fed, but two Filipino men were waiting for us and though Fed had said he didn't think he could get clearance to enter the airport for us (security is very tight here), I assumed he had pulled some strings and managed it.

"Hi!" I gushed, and wrapped my arms around him with an enthusiastic hug. Big smile greeted me. "Are you Lolita? Follow me." The other gentleman took a step back and stuck out his hand, clearly not ready to risk a bear hug. He took our passports and claim checks and proceeded to whisk us through customs. In fact, I wasn't even aware we went through any kind of customs, I was so busy feeling happy that we were finally here, and delighted with the greeting and the ease with which we were hurtling previously worried about obstacles.

As we watched the bags go round and round, I finally had a full frontal chat with my guide, including a close up view of his ID tag... Jubilo. Not Fed. "We work for the Airport Authority," he said when I asked about his name. "Fed arranged for us to meet you and assist with baggage and customs. Visitors arent' allowed into the airport but I will take you to Fed when we have your baggage."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Palace

The trouble with winter is…

"The Party"