Art Nouveau Municipal House and Astronomical Clock



This is one of Prague's most photographed cultural and historical monuments, so we figured millions of people can't be wrong and we photographed it too. They hold frequent concerts inside but they were on the pricey side - nearly $100 each. Instead, we're going to attend a guitar concert this evening in a small church close to the river.

Our walk took us past the Powder Tower so named because after it became obsolete as a gate into the Old Town, is was recommissioned as a gunpowder storehouse.



Then we came to my favourite part of the walk, the Astronomical Clock. Try as I might, I couldn't figure it out. On the hour a mechanical parade of saints rotates through two open windows above the clock. Since we chanced upon the clock at 11:45, we decided to wait and then splurged and paid $12 for two glasses of coke so we could sit and watch. The crowd was huge. I can't imagine what it's like in summer.


The skelton you see is mechanical and pulls a string which rings the bell on the hour.





Hans, ever thinking of his upcoming Walk, hiked up to the top of the tower, probably 175'. I guarded our $12 cokes down below. Apparently there's quite a panoramic view from up there, but I'm happy to just admire the photos otherwise I fear the blackout spots in front of my eyes would obliterate the view.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Palace

The trouble with winter is…

"The Party"