September 25/26, Finisterre/Santiago de Compostela

The following morning I caught up on email correspondence and wandered around the town taking a few last photos. At 3:00 pm I met Krisztina, Janos and his family for the drive back to Santiago. Regretfully Markus and I missed each other and we were unable to properly say goodbye.

We drove back to Santiago in 90 minutes, compared to the 19 hours it had taken to walk. I didn’t mind at all.

In Santiago, Krisztina and I tried to find hotel rooms without success. Finally we went to the tourist information office where we were told that there wasn’t a single room available because there were three conventions in the city. Janos, in his wisdom, had possessed the foresight to pre-book a room.

We tried the albergue and were relieved when they gave us beds for the night. Later in the evening we all got together for a superb dinner at one of the better restaurants in the city. Aliz, the 18 month old daughter of Janos and ZsuZsa, charmed everyone in the restaurant.

Early the next morning I said goodbye to Krisztina and took a taxi to the airport. Fittingly, as the plane banked shortly after take-off, I could see the spires of the cathedral towering over the rest of the city. Photo 916: The dominance of the cathedral.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Palace

The trouble with winter is…

"The Party"